Maintaining Sobriety During the Holidays
November 25, 2015
The holidays can be a joyful time, but for people in recovery from drug and alcohol addiction it can present obstacles in maintaining sobriety. Below are a few suggestions from the experts at Fairbanks on how to have a safe and sober holiday season.
- Spend time with people who support you and your recovery.
- Give freely of your time. The holidays are a great time of year to do volunteer work and be of service to others.
- Have a meeting schedule handy and don’t hesitate to go to one.
- Create a list of people you can call when you need to talk to.
- Go to parties a little early before most of the drinking starts and make your exit when you feel the time is appropriate.
- Write a letter to yourself about how you will stay sober during the holidays. This is a powerful way to create ideas and remind yourself of the importance of your sobriety.
- Feel free to bring your favorite nonalcoholic beverage to parties with you, so you will be assured of having a nonalcoholic choice.
If you feel that you might need additional support for your recovery during the holidays, or know someone who does, call a Fairbanks addiction professional at 317.849.8222.