The Fairbanks Story
It was 1945. Though substance abuse was as old as alcohol itself, treatment centers were unheard of, at least in Indiana. Dr. Robert Nevitt and Mr. William Brady saw the devastating effects of alcoholism in the community, and decided to do something about it. It was into this scenario that the seeds of Fairbanks were planted as they formed the Indiana Home for Alcoholic Men, a 12-bed men’s detoxification unit. The program began in a house in downtown Indianapolis, the cost was $10 per day.
A community-wide fundraising effort worked toward developing a new, larger facility in the late 1960s, one that could provide services for men and women. Mayor Richard Lugar spearheaded a land donation by the City of Indianapolis. A grant from the Cornelia Cole Fairbanks Trust, along with many other donations, large and small, gave birth to the new Fairbanks Hospital. In 1975, Fairbanks became one of the first 25 facilities in the United States to be accredited by the Joint Commission and the first treatment center in Indiana recognized for reimbursement from Blue Cross/Blue Shield.
Outgrowing the new site in 12 years, Fairbanks moved to the current location in 1982 and expanded to include drug and alcohol treatment programs for adolescents and comprehensive outpatient services. Fairbanks traces membership in NAATP since the early ’90s, with former CEOs who served on the NAATP Board of Directors. Today, the wealth of programs and services include the treatment and recovery facilities, transitional living, La Verna Lodge and Hope Academy, a charter high school for students in recovery.