Need Help With Alcohol or Drug Addiction?
Sometimes the answer to “Is it Addiction?” is not always clear. Often, it’s a combination of signs and symptoms that will help you recognize the need to consider professional treatment. Individuals do not have to use drugs or drink alcohol every day to have a problem. Below are some common signs and symptoms of drug and alcohol abuse that can help you identify addiction. Please remember that even if a person shows some of these symptoms, it does not necessarily mean that they have a drug or alcohol addiction. The presence of some of these symptoms could relate to stress, depression or other health or behavioral problems, which may or may not be related to substance abuse.
Let us help you by answering your questions. To speak with an addiction professional or make an appointment, call us today at 800.225.4673.
Medical and Physical Signs
- Observable signs of declining personal hygiene
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
- Pupils larger or smaller than usual; face flushed or bloated
- Signs of weight change
- Tremors or shakes of hands, feet or head
- Observable decline in physical health
- Emergency room visits for drug or alcohol overdose or unexplained injuries
- Inability to focus and track in a conversation
- Slurred speech; unsteady gait
Addiction symptoms observed by Friends and Community
- Excessive drug prescriptions for self and/or family
- Frequent emotional crisis
- Activities involving drinking alcohol are a priority
- Arguments/violent outbursts
- Withdrawal from relationships, family or friends
- Neglect of children
- Abnormal, illegal and anti-social actions of children
- Separation or divorce
- Unexplained absences from home
- Legal problems
- Neglect of social commitments
- Unpredictable behavior such as inappropriate spending
Addiction and Alcoholism: Self-Assessment Tools
If you still aren’t sure whether you or your loved one needs help, why not try taking an online self-assessment? Simply follow these links to answer a few short questions that will help you better understand your particular situation.
Alcohol Screening Test
Drug Screening Test
When you’re ready, call us at 800.225.4673 and make an appointment for an assessment.